Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune condition that affects over 1.3 million adults in America. This degenerative disease attacks the cartilage and tissue in the joints, making it debilitatingly painful to perform many everyday tasks. It can also spread beyond the joints to the skin, blood vessels, eyes, lungs and heart. Most sufferers report a painful swelling of their joints—the disease is inflammatory—and stiffness.
If you suffer from rheumatoid arthritis, your doctor has likely prescribed exercise, stretching and weight loss to help you cope with the pain. In addition to your doctor’s recommendations, hot tubs can help ease rheumatoid arthritis pain in Lubbock, TX. Here’s why purchasing your own backyard hot tub could make your life more comfortable:
- Joint protection: Putting strain on your joints can increase the pain of rheumatoid arthritis, which is why sitting in a hot tub can help. The buoyancy of the water helps support your body, so gravity isn’t putting such a strain on your limbs and joints. This will reduce your pain and give you a much-needed break from moving around with a chronic illness.
- Exercise: Exercise has been proven to help reduce the symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis, and allows patients to cope with their pain better. When you strengthen the muscles around your joints, you relieve pressure and tension on the joints and soft tissues. This helps reduce or eliminate physical pain. Take advantage of the joint protection you get from the hot water and take the opportunity to exercise while in the tub.
- Weight loss: Weight loss also reduces the pressure on your joints, thereby easing the pain and inflammation associated with rheumatoid arthritis. If your doctor has suggested that losing a few pounds will likely alleviate your symptoms, exercising for weight loss in the hot tub will help you safely strengthen your muscles and shed pounds.
- Assistance with stretching: Stretching is another way to loosen your body up and take some of the pressure off your joints—and doing it in the hot tub allows you to take advantage of the heat and water buoyancy to do so in a safe, relaxed manner. The hot water helps loosen your muscles as you move through your doctor-suggested stretching routine, leaving you feeling fluid and comfortable.
- A positive outlook: Finally, while it may sound silly, having a positive outlook can have a great effect when you’re dealing with a chronic illness. Most people buy hot tubs for their relaxing and occasionally invigorating qualities—there are few things more relaxing than letting the hot water and jets ease your tired muscles. Soaking away the stress helps you ease your body and your mind, making it easier to cope with the rigors of rheumatoid arthritis as well as other aspects of your daily life.
Dealing with chronic pain and inflammation is difficult, but a hot tub can help with easing these symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis in Lubbock, TX. If you’re interested in finding the right hot tub for your needs, pay a visit to Alcoe today.
Categorised in: Hot Tubs