Many of our customers have turned to swim spas as a way to enhance their workout routine. Swim spas are not only a fun and relaxing way to exercise, but they’re also quite effective. Thanks to their size (big enough to swim in, as the name suggests) and jets adding additional resistance to the water, you can develop an exercise routine that will help you stay in shape—and won’t leave you dreading the next session. Swim spa exercises in Lubbock, TX are one of the most fun ways to keep your blood pumping.
How swim spas enhance exercise
Originally, swim spas were limited to swimming in place, but modern designs have made room for seating options. This makes it a more functional investment, suitable for exercise and relaxation.
Swim spas generate a current that provides resistance so that you can swim in place. Typically, they’re somewhere between waist- and chest-deep, depending on your height, which is more than enough room to allow you to swim. This offers a low-impact workout that increases your calorie burn.
Swim spa exercises to try
You’re not limited to simply swimming in a swim spa—try these exercises to enhance your workout:
- Kickback: Hold onto the exercise bar and face the wall. Raise your right leg to the surface while squeezing your glute, hold for 10 seconds and repeat with your left leg. Aim for 10 to 15 reps for each leg.
- Flutter kicks: Turn on a light jet that will provide enough resistance to keep you floating horizontally. Again, hold the exercise bar, then flutter kick your legs for two to three minutes. Rest and repeat if desired.
- Jogging in place: Using a light jet for resistance and bringing your knees up as high as possible, jog in place against the current. You can try this with your back to the jets for an extra challenge.
- Push-ups: If you struggle to do pushups on dry land, you can work up to them by training in the water first. Simply place your hands on the exercise bar or steps, then lower yourself as far as you can go without dunking your head underwater. Push back up and repeat.
- Step-ups: This is exactly the same as the dry-ground version. Step up onto your swim spa step with your right foot, then left; step down with your left foot and then your right. Switch and repeat.
If you add water dumbbells and resistance bands, there are even more exercise possibilities.
When you’re ready to invest in a swim spa for relaxation and exercise, the team at Alcoe can help you find your perfect match. We have been helping our customers find the right hot tubs, swim spas, saunas, outdoor furniture, barbecues and more since 1959. When you purchase from us, you can rest assured that our team is able to install, repair and maintain everything we stock. Call or stop by today to learn more about how swim spas can help your exercise routine in Lubbock, TX.